Including Superfoods In Your Next Catered Event
Maybe you've been planning the annual office party, an important corporate event or a relaxed social with friends and family, but you have yet to decide on what food you want to serve your guests. You might like to consider one of the most popular, healthiest trends in the food world right now: superfoods! All the foodies out there will know exactly what we're talking about.
These fad foods can be eaten raw, are packed with nutrients and antioxidants and they can look less like health foods and more like five star meals with a little creative flair from your caterer. Serving raw, organic and superfood dishes at your next event can help promote healthy eating within your company, family or group of friends.
What are superfoods?
Superfoods are exactly that; super! As the name suggests, they are ingredients which have incredible health benefits. Many catering companies are now offering superfood, organic and raw menus for events because these healthy alternatives have become so popular. Now guests won't feel so bad about pigging out at the next office party because it's all good for your body!
Some of the scientifically proven benefits of superfoods include:
- regulation of metabolism and burning of fat
- protects organs from harmful toxins produced by illness and unhealthy eating and drinking
- lowers cholesterol and blood pressure
- prevents and reduces inflammatio
- prevents heart-related diseases and cancer
- promotes digestive health
These are some of the most popular superfoods on the market today which your caterer might like to include in the menu:
- chia seeds
- flax seeds
- brazil nuts
- goji berries
- fish and fish oil
- raw cocoa
- as well as other fruits, vegetables and legumes
Choosing a caterer for your event
One of the most important aspects of serving superfoods at your event is presentation. Choose a caterer who can style meals in an appealing way and make them taste sensational at the same time. One of the best ways to select a caterer is by listening to recommendations. If you've never worked with a caterer before, ask others who they would recommend or not recommend. If you can't get any recommendations, ask prospective caterers for a list of references.
Other aspects which should influence your choice of caterer can be summed up in a few questions:
- Can the caterer schedule a tasting? You should be able to sample foods which demonstrate the skill of the caterer as well as give you an idea of the foods that might be served at your event. This should include samples of canapés, main meals and desserts.
- Does the caterer specialise in raw, organic and superfood menus? It shouldn't be a deal-breaker if they don't, but it can be helpful if they've had lots of experience with these kinds of foods.
- How fresh are the caterer's supplies? It goes without saying that organic food tastes 100% better when fresh. Your caterer should be able to explain their food procurement process to give you some peace of mind.
Creating a superfood menu
Superfoods make great canapés! Planning an entire 3 course menu using superfood ingredients isn't easy, so instead provide your guests with some healthy finger food at the beginning of your event. These are not filling at all (so they won't ruin main meals) and are all about taste, texture and colour. Ask your caterer if they can throw together some interesting combinations using no more than four different healthy ingredients.
Alternatively, focus on creating healthy desserts. Guests are sure to fill themselves up during a main meal and often can't spare room for a filling dessert at the end of the night. Opt for small-portion desserts which contain light, raw ingredients and which are, like the canapés, focused on taste quality and presentation rather than quantity. Your guests will thank you for it!
Selecting a menu is a key aspect of the event planning process. We at Laissez have years of experience in catering to the needs of guests, so if you'd like our help planning your next event please contact us to discuss your needs.