Christmas in July Recipe
For many, the anticipation of a juicy turkey roasting patiently while jovial banter ensues is a treat at Christmas time. However, in South Africa, as it is in Australia, they can’t snuggle up cosily by the fire awaiting the big lunch but they can enjoy the sunny skies and, with this recipe for turkey on the Weber, they can even take the cooking outdoors.
We thought that this year we would give you an interesting rendition of the faithful Christmas Turkey by going to the African continent for a sizzling idea, whether it’s on a balcony apartment or in the great Australian backyard, this is a recipe that will please all and brings an interesting take on the tradition and allows us to at least try and enjoy a Winter tradition, even if we are celebrating Christmas in July!!!
- One 4-5 kg turkey
- 1/2 cup of butter
- Salt and pepper
- One handful fresh sage leaves
- Two oranges
- Prepare your Weber.
- Season the turkey inside and out with salt and pepper. Soften the butter, add the grated rind of one orange and a couple of sage leaves.
- Carefully loosen the skin over the turkey breast and push the flavoured butter in the cavity you’ve made. Squeeze the oranges over the turkey. Stuff the turkey cavity with the oranges and left over sage leaves.
- Place bird breast side up on grill directly above drip pan.
- Cover the bird, leaving all the vents open.
- Cook meat until meat near thighbone is no longer pink.
- Total cooking time should be 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
During the last half hour of cooking, baste turkey with melted butter regularly.