Melbourne Cup Catering: Giddy Up!
The Melbourne Cup is just about the only day of the year where it is universally acceptable across Australia to host a party during the working day. It truly is the race that stops the nation. But, more importantly, it is the race that gives everyone the opportunity to host or attend a party!
For some people, it is all about getting tickets to the best party in town. For others, it is about taking the opportunity to host an exclusive event for their top clients and staff. For the rest of us, it can often simply be about throwing a few bets down and heading to the boardroom to drink champagne and nibble on some cheese and crackers.
Whatever you prefer, we’re here to help you celebrate Melbourne Cup in style! Whether you are planning an exclusive event or organising an office party with pizazz, check out our hottest canape of the season.
The Canape That Stops a Nation...
These Spicy Lobster Bao Will Blow Your Mind!
- 6 fresh or frozen Chinese buns (a.k.a. gua bao, folded buns, or steamed sandwiches)
- 1 stick 250 grams unsalted butter, cut into several pieces
- ¼ cup Sriracha
- ½ teaspoon red chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 400 grams cooked lobster meat (from two lobsters), chopped into bite-size chunks (2 cups)
- 1 generous tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Right before you serve, arrange the buns on a plate, cover them with damp paper towels, and microwave, flipping once, about 1 minute.
2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and stir in the Sriracha, chilli flakes, and ½ teaspoon salt.
3. Reduce the heat to low, add the lobster, and stir occasionally just until the lobster is hot all the way through, 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Take the pot off the heat and stir in the lemon juice, scallions, and cilantro. Season to taste with more salt and lemon juice. Cover to keep it warm.
5. Remove the buns from the parchment and put them on a plate. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the lobster meat to the bao buns, spoon on as much of the sauce as you'd like, and eat.